I made these caramel oatmeal bars with dark chocolate and almonds for my office holiday potluck. They were really yummy but a little goes a long way because they are quite dense.
I initially came across this recipe and it sounded pretty simple but I decided to check out allrecipes.com to see if there were some recipes with feedback. I ended up using this one and adding some of my own tweaks to it. I've reduced the number of caramels because it was super-gooey, used milk instead of cream and added a dash of cinnamon because it's tasty!
25 individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
5 tbsp milk
2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups oats
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt together the caramels and milk, stirring occasionally until smooth. Keep a close eye on it or it will burn.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in the melted butter until well blended.
- In a foil-lined pan (makes it easier to remove) press half of the mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan. Reserve the rest.
- Bake the crust for 8 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips and almonds. Pour the caramel mixture over the top and then crumble the remaining crust mixture on top.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 12 minutes, or until the top is lightly toasted. Cut into squares once cool.